Friday 8 February 2013

(xiii) Chinese Temple, Sandakan Memorial park

Early morning trip to Puu Jih Shih Temple.
'no bus sir, no bus. taxi, taxi 50 Ringgit.'

Eventually I find the bus and pay the 1 Ringgit fare. Number 34 if you ever need to know. Beautiful Chinese temple set on the hillside above Sandakan, 'the place beneath the wind'. I guess that makes the Temple 'The view of the place beneath the wind'.

I enjoy the ornate dragons, Chinese lanterns and golden statues. I particularly enjoy a statuesque Buddha, who seems a little pleased with himself. Perhaps he just had a massage.

My ignorance shows as I sight numerous symbols of 'reverse swastikas'. I ask a lady in the temple. Her English is limited, but she knows the question I will ask. I am clearly not the only ignorant tourist.

'Symbol of Buddha. Means biggest number. Word 'Wan' in Chinese.'

I think a loose translation may be infinity. Perhaps 'every person, every thing'. This translation works for me. The original use of the symbol had no connection with Nazi Germany, but the visual similarity is unavoidable. I'm pleased it is still proudly used. What better way to renounce racial and national intolerance, than with a reverse symbol I take to mean inclusion of everything. I feel wiser. Even though my wisdom is based in ignorance.

*****

Sandakan Memorial Park. Prisoner of War camp under Japanese occupation. 2,428 Australian and British officers died in Sandakan, Ranau, or during 'death marches' between.

The commemorative park is beautiful, contemplative and serene. Quite unlike it's prior existence. The scene of forced labour. PoW's would deliberately sabotage equipment and projects; for once complete, there was no need for labour camps.

Anyone unable to keep up on the march to Ranau was shot. Those who made it to Ranau were killed also. 6 Australian Officers survived. They testify the history of some of the camp. Nobody can describe the scenes of beheadings and crucifixion found after the war. 2 of the survivors later returned to Borneo during the war on surveillance operations. Heroism without dilution.

LEST WE FORGET

*****

Off on a jungle adventure for the next few days. Decide to relax in the afternoon in preparation.

Hammock, sunshine, book, music, happiness.














































No comments:

Post a Comment