Tuesday 5 February 2013

(ix) Heavenly views of Mt Kinabalu


Just met a girl who is scared of butterflies. Fingers crossed she never meets a shark.

*****

I arrive at mountain base-camp expecting a group to climb with. 'No sir, no sir, single person guide only.' There are groups all around me, small groups of Europeans, larger groups of locals. However, limiting numbers give employment to more guides. If I join another group, my guide would not be paid today. I approve, though it is a shame not to have more company.

Whitesnake sings in my ears as I climb (see ii). However I am not alone. Maikin Sikon has been a guide since 2003. He has a wife and a child of 8 years. 'At twelve, he can climb the mountain.' I will walk 6 km today and climb 1000 feet. The air is thinner but quite manageable.

I pass members of the matching cagoule brigade; each equipped with professional walking sticks. I feel inadequate in trainers, with a scuba dry bag strapped across my back. When they catch up I will find out what gear I need to take walking seriously.

Religion is on my mind today as I climb Mount Kinabalu. There are many paths to climb a mountain. Each path here is guided by a local. It prevents Europeans straying. One European who did stray was Brother Benedict, a Dutch Missionary who came to kg bundu tuhan village in 1968. He built St Pius church and now Maikin Sikon, his family and village are all Christian. Perhaps 50% of Borneo are. 40% Muslim, 10% the rest. All climb the mountain paths in harmony.

*****

The view takes my breath, as does the altitude. Balcony perched 3000 metres above the sea. Above the clouds. Above comprehension. I am surrounded by crisp greenery and vibrant red flowers. Simple yet defined colour palate framed against blue skies and whipped white clouds. Tomorrow's foreboding grey stands above me.

*****

Perhaps the Greeks got it right. I sit at 3000 feet and there is no doubt there is a God. He is the clouds beneath me. She is the sunset before me. It is the summit ahead. I don't know whose God I view, but I know she is beautiful.

*****

God is in Good. The concept is described many ways. For me, at the positive heart of each religion lies strong moral teaching. A child with religion is a child with something to believe in, to aspire to. The realisation of this belief is in the good done for others.

I walked some of the mountain today with an English girl who has taught in China for 7 years. Last week she shaved her shoulder length hair to the scalp in a school assembly. She raised £5000 for cancer research.

A friend is a qualified football coach. He has worked with high level football teams but has now established his own charity for less advantaged males. The charity is driven by his goodwill and commitment, fundraising and positive influence. It is based in his Christian faith. The impact crosses faith boundaries. It is delving into humanity and having a positive influence. It is what life is about. Sometimes he 'persuades' me into foolish endurance football events to raise funds. I forgive him, his heart is in the right place.

View the soccer academy
http://www.streetsocceracademy.co.uk
Follow on Twitter @streetsocceruk
































No comments:

Post a Comment